Wednesday, October 20, 2010

In Three Dimensions

Family Tree. 2010. clay,wood,acrylic.

This photo brought to you by 10 year old point and shoot,a red book, a broken lamp and my bed sheets.

My terrible, horrible, no good, very bad eight week class has ended so look forward to possible somewhat regular Tuesday afternoon posts. I also borrowed a sad little old point and shoot to take some pictures of some of the 3D stuff from a while back.I also have lots of black and white photographs to scan, but I'll try to break it up for you guys because I know my friends get bored.
This is the finished version of the clay "Family Tree" I posted many moons ago. In case you missed it, and your lazy ass doesn't want to check older posts, it's an apple growing a tree off of it, on a plank of wood, on top of the bottom half of a baby doll. There is also some black ooze coming from the doll.Yes, I realize there is a photo, but everyone could use some clarification sometimes. What you can't see in the photo is that inside the little apple (or home as I like to think of it) there is a candle that when lit slowly burns out after a period of about a minute due to the lack of oxygen inside the home. Read whatever you want into that metaphor, it was probably intended. It's mostly about decision to be a genetic 'dead end'. This obviously is a decision shaped by my personal experience, so this piece is a bit surreal and mostly autobiographical. However pessimistic that my seem, I personally feel it is balanced by the humor of the work as a whole, the doll and the apple sort of become one strange creature, the slouch of the apple and windows in it become an inquisitive expression.


I have also just made a companion piece to this one that I am going to glaze etc, it will be finished in the next couple of months. I'll show you when it's done.
We just had our one year anniversary of this blog friends. What did you get me?

That sounds nice, I'm so glad we are still together.
-Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment